Saturday, September 3, 2011

Music of the Moment - Bobby Hendricks




Darling Brookie heard the song "Itchy Twitchy Feeling" on PBS Radio Melbourne recently and was inspired to go out and purchase a Bobby Hendricks album - and boy am I glad she did!! It's just fantastic and I have been jiving in my loungeroom to "Itchy Twitchy Feeling" ever since .... hope you enjoy it too ....







From Wikipedia:

Bobby Hendricks (b. February 22, 1938, Columbus, Ohio) is an American R&B singer who charted two hits in the late 1950s. However, before embarking on a solo career, Bobby Hendricks was a member of The Swallows and recorded with The Flyers before becoming a successful solo act. (He also sang lead on The Drifters' Drip Drop).
His single Itchy Twitchy Feeling, which was covered by his former band soon after it began attracting radio airplay, hit the U.S. charts, reaching #5 on the Black Singles chart and #25 on the Billboard Hot 100 in 1958. Hendricks's only other charting single, Psycho, was a novelty song depicting a psychiatrist talking with a patient.Psycho peaked at #73 on the Billboard Hot 100 in 1960. New York City disc jockey Dr. Jive (Tommy Smalls) was the voice of the psychiatrist on Psycho.
From 1961, off and on, through 2008, Bobby Hendricks worked as lead singer with Bill Pinkney's Original Drifters and appeared with them on PBS in the ever popular Doo Wop 51 television broadcast and Doo Wop Love Songs when he sang Stand By Me with Bill Pinkney, Charlie Thomas and Ben E. King.

45 RPM singles

  • Itchy Twitchie Feeling/A Thousand Dreams - Sue Records, 1958
  • Dreamy Eyes/Molly Be Good - Sue Records, 1958
  • Cast Your Vote/It's Misery - Sue Records, 1959
  • I'm A Big Boy Now/Good Things Will Come - Sue Records, 1959
  • Little John Green/Sincerely, Your Lover - Sue Records, 1959
  • City Of Angels/If I Just Had Your Love - Sue Records, 1960
  • Busy Flirtin'/I Want That - Sue Records, 1960
  • Psycho/Too Good To Be True - Sue Records, 1960
  • That's All I Got From You/I Got A Feeling - Alta Records, 1962 (with Jimmy Velvit)
  • My Picture/ You Drive Buddy - Patience Records. 1962 (recorded as The Sprites)
  • Let's Get It Over/Love In My Heart - Cub Records, 1963
  • I Watched You Slowly Slip Away / Let's Get It On - Stardust Records (year unknown)
  • I'm Coming Home/Every Other Night - Mercury Records (year unknown)
  • Let's Get It Over/Love In My Heart - MGM Records, 1963

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails