Thursday, February 3, 2011

Living Dolls - Miss February

I am so very excited to share this months Living Doll with you - the totally adorable Ms Vicki !

What does 'vintage' mean to you?

Pre 1970s

What was it that first prompted your interest in vintage culture?


I have always felt from a young age that I didn’t “fit in” to the norm & always felt different. I was taken to my first Wintersun in 1997 & was introduced to the rockabilly scene. It was like a lightbulb went off over my head. “That’s it!” I thought “This is who I am”. The music, the fashion & the attitude of the people in ‘scene’ was exactly what I had been craving. It truly felt like a big void in my life had been filled. I ditched the flannel shirts & army boots for day dresses & red lippie from that day forth.

What is your favourite era, and do you 'live it' every day? In what ways?

My favourite era would have to be the 1950s. I just love the design of everything from a wall clock, the cars, the furniture, the advertising, textiles.. everything! To me it seems such an exciting decade that is filled with beautiful colours & patterns that scream happiness.

Although I would love to live completely in the era, alas it is not very practical. In my day to day life I normally wear clothing that is a retro look. My hair & makeup is always done true to era. My home is a weatherboard that was built in 1952. Although it has the mod-cons the majority of furniture & decorative items are either 1940s/1950s vintage or vintage inspired.

Tell us about your favourite item of vintage clothing, kitchenalia, music, furniture or whatever !

I do love my house. The original owners built it in 1952 & lived in it until we bought it in 2009. It is still completely original from the kitchen with it’s pastel blue/yellow stove to the atomic light fixtures.

My favourite clothing item would have to be a classic 49er Pendleton Jacket. They are my addiction. My other favourite thing is marcasite jewellery particularly brooches.


Can you share with us why vintage culture continues to hold such appeal for you?

Unlike ‘modern’ fashion which seems to just jump in & out of fads, vintage style is timeless. I just don’t feel right in modern look clothing. Everything these days is just so mass produced, cheap & trashy looking.

Do you have any tips for anyone starting out in the vintage scene?

Surf the net for inspiration. In this age of Google & YouTube there really is no excuse for not knowing what style represents certain eras. Also, don’t be afraid of those gals that look like total glamour-pusses. They are human too. Go up to them & ask them questions like “Where do you buy your frocks?” & “How do you do your hair?”.

Or go to the Lindy Charm School.

Now is your chance to provide us with an overview of who you are and what you do.
I would call myself a rockabilly, swing, wanna-be punk rude girl, daggy woman with a hint of bogan. I don’t have any tattoos or piercings. I don’t really conform to the pressure of what is considered ‘in’. In fact, if somebody tells me that a certain thing is the ‘new’ cool thing I will usually do the opposite.

I really can’t relate to ‘modern’ culture and find most of it quite disgusting.

I am on a never-ending quest to find the perfect red lipstick, black eyeliner & drop of Merlot.

I am actually quite shy in social situations & normally fret for a few hours before going out. I live a nice quiet life in the beautiful bayside town of Redcliffe with my wonderful husband Mick (The Big Fella), my two staffie cross dogs called Bovver Boi & Sabi and my cat, the evil pookah called Harvey.

I love old British cars & I would LOVE to own a Hillman Minx.

Finally, what or who inspires you and why?

I very much love a classic vintage look that is not fussy & too over the top. I’m not really attracted to wild atomic print things & prefer a simple understated style. My favourite style icons are either Katharine Hepburn or Grace Kelly.

1 comment:

  1. This is my favorite interview yet. I love how honest she comes across. You can definitely tell that she is true to her vintage style.

    Thanks for all the great interviews on your blog!

    www.thegiftofgab-gabby.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails