Sunday, January 13, 2013

Living Doll January 2013



Living Dolls are mothers, nurses, models, photographers, graphic designers, grandmothers, students, teachers - infact you name it, they come from every walk of life but have this one thing in common - they love and live vintage !

All our Living Dolls are beautiful, but when I spied April's facebook profile pickkie, I knew this lovely lass was totally pulling off her vintage pinup look to perfection, and just had to get to know her a little better. Ladies and gentlemen, our beautiful Miss January 2013, April Towerton......

What does "vintage" mean to you?

Whenever I think of "vintage" I think of all my fabulous "vintage-loving" friends, I think of fashion, music, cars, simplistic living, and strong morals... I think of a "way of life"

What was it that first prompted your interest in vintage culture?

I have always loved old movies and the glamour of vintage "starlets" ( the hair, the make-up, the jewellery, the clothes... What's not to love?)
However, I don't think I completely "embraced" vintage culture until I met my husband Aaron in late 2000 (he plays in various rock and roll, swing, and rockabilly bands around Sydney). This just enhanced my love for the music of yesteryear, and introduced me to the vibrant vintage scene that thrives around Sydney.

What is your favourite era, and do you "live it" everyday? In what ways?

I love so many eras for many different reasons, but as I am a fashion lover I will focus on that! I love the straight lines, and simplicity of the 40s fashion, and I love a beautifully structured 60s wiggle dress, however, my favourite would have to be the 50s fashion. There is something so feminine about the styles of the 50s, this was a time when clothing really flattered a woman's figure, and in many ways a time when glamour was injected into normal women's lives, almost as a post war celebration.
I "live" it everyday in small ways, I may not dress head to toe vintage everyday, but there will always be a little bit of vintage "glamour" in my everyday look whether it's the dress, the hair, a piece of jewellery or just a slick of red lipstick, it is such a feminine way of expressing yourself.

Tell us about your favourite item of vintage clothing, kitchenalia, music, furniture or whatever!

My favourite vintage item would have to be a pair of late 1940s ornate silver and rhinestone shoe clips that I picked up at a market stall about 10years ago.
I was just fascinated by the creativity of the time, this was a time when women couldn't just go out and buy themselves new things, most women only had 1 pair of dress shoes (can you imagine that?!?) so they used shoe clips to change the look of their shoes ( 1 pair becomes many)
I love them so much I don't even wear them anymore as I'm too scared of losing them.
It was my love of these clips that prompted me to start "I Do Shoes" an online bridal shoe and shoe accessories site, specializing in affordable shoes and beautiful shoe clips because every girl should be able to afford something glamourous- it's what being a girl is all about!


Can you share with us why vintage culture continues to hold such appeal for you?

Vintage culture has become a way of life in so many ways. I have made some amazing friends within the vintage scene. People from all walks of life, all professions and industries bond over a shared love of "vintage", whether they have an interest in the music, the fashion, the dancing, the cars (or all of them!) there is something that unites everyone. You can't just walk away from that...

Do you have any tips for people starting out in the vintage scene?

Get out and meet people within the scene (go and support the live bands, go to dance classes, and vintage markets etc). Once you have found friends that share your love and passion for vintage you won't feel like you are just starting out - you will feel like you have been there all along.

Now is your chance to provide us with an overview of who you are and what you do.

I live a very happy (yet very busy) life with my husband on the central coast.
I have always worked in the jewellery industry, and in my current role I am lucky enough to work closely with some amazing Jewellers and gemstone merchants around Sydney. There is something so incredibly satisfying about helping create something you know will become a treasured family heirloom (and I do get just a little bit excited whenever someone requests a vintage reproduction-yay!)
In addition I have my own online business "I Do Shoes" (as I mentioned before) you can check out the website idoshoes.com.au (it's a work in progress) or check out my Facebook page.
I am hoping that 2013 will see me able to invest more time into this, as I am set to launch idorockabilly.com.au, which focuses on vintage and rockabilly style footwear, stocking many popular US brands including pinup couture, pleaser and Bettie page.
Again, this will be predominantly online, however I will be exhibiting at a few vintage markets and festivals throughout 2013.
Between these 2 very "full-on" positions I still always manage to find time to watch my husband perform, go out dancing (rockabilly of course!) and enjoy time on the beach with our beautiful dog "Jack". Life is just one big juggling act!


Finally, what or who inspires you and why?

I could rattle off all of the cliched Hollywood sirens (Marilyn Monroe, Audrey Hepburn, Grace Kelly, Elizabeth Taylor, the list goes on..) which of course is true, they are inspiring. However, I think I am most inspired by people I see everyday. People who stay true to themselves, people who unashamedly embrace vintage into their everyday lives, people who are asked "are you going to a fancy dress party?" (which I'm sure all of us vintage lovers have been asked at some point) yet they aren't discouraged and wear it with pride- I say good on you!!

1 comment:

  1. I love April's sites. Hope I get to meet her at this years vintage fairs.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails