Sunday, October 16, 2011

High Tea for a tremendous cause.....

Have you ever been moved to tears by someone elses plight? I was this afternoon, and even had to rush off to the powder room to deal with my need for a little sob. OK, so I am a very feeling person by nature, but if you cannot be moved by the situation of African women, outcast from their families and societies  simply because they have undergone exceptionally traumatic labour/birth experiences, resulting in bodily deformation, then I would say you have a heart of stone. I know that I was scared as I faced all three of my childbirth experiences, and I live in the west where medical help is brilliant. Imagine being a woman in a remote African village and simply through the act of bringing life into the world, you face death, rejection, isolation, lifelong deformation and dysfunction of your body. Boy oh boy, we just don't know how good we have it here !!

 

 

This afternoon I joined with close on 100 women in the rural community of Swan Hill in sharing a High Tea to raise much needed money and awareness for the Addis Ababa Fistula Hospital in Ethiopia - the vision of a husband and wife team from Australia who have received the Companion of the Order of Australia (our countries highest award) for their establishment of this hospital. It helps restore life to suffering women, and educates others to become midwives in needy communities. Can you spare 10 minutes out of your day to simply read the website about this amazing organisation? Today we raised $800, but if you can help by knitting blankets for the hospital, then that is tremendously valued as well.








Here are some photographs of the afternoon, at a bed and breakfast on the charming Murray River, entertained by songbird Diana Riding, and lapping up all the refinement of a beautiful spread of goodies and numerous cups of tea in fine company ! I wore my favourite purple ensemble, which I have pictured here in my messy hallway.....so everyone can see that a busy mummy can indeed 'look the goods', despite the messy activity of her household.... and what a privilege it is to be a mother in such a blessed country such as this !! Happy Sunday everyone !!

2 comments:

  1. What a lovely outfit! In looooooooove with your cardigan and floral dress!
    Hugs and kisses
    Taida

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails