Saturday, February 23, 2013

Banana Bread with Cream Cheese Frosting

 
I went to my pantry this week and discovered 5-6 bananas that had turned. So, in the traditional spirit of waste not want not, I set about to make a banana cake, but discovered this great banana bread recipe instead. Unfortunately, my kids don't seem to enjoy cake (can you believe it !!! I cant !!!) so my lovely companions at Mawsons helped me dispose of my yummy creation - and I was not left with a whole banana cake to eat over the weekend on my own...... hoping you and yours derive as much pleasure from your thrifting of banana's !
 
 
 
Banana Bread
 
175g plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp bicarb soda
125g butter melted
150g brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
4 - 5 large bananas mashed
100g sultanas (optional)
 
Mix melted butter and sugar until well blended. Add eggs and vanilla, then mashed bananas. Mix well. Stir in sultanas. Gradually add sifted flour, baking powder and bicarb soda, stirring well. Scrape into loaf tin, greased and lined. Bake 1-1 1/4 hours until golden and springy. Leave in tin to cool, then ice with cream cheese frosting. (Can also be eaten warm from the oven, spread with butter and no icing.)
 
Cream Cheese Frosting
 
250g Block cream cheese softened
2/3 cup icing sugar
2/3 cup full cream milk powder
grated rind of the citrus of your choice
 

Beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth, add milk powder and beat again until smooth. Stir through rind. Use as required.

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes I deliberately let my bananas turn just so I can make banana cale!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails