Sunday, September 4, 2011

Living Doll - Miss September 2011

 Be prepared to be blown away !! Miss September is one of the cutest vintage gals you will ever meet ....let me introduce Miss Violet LeBeaux, lolita doll extraordinaire !


What does 'vintage' mean to you?

I was born in 1987 so pretty much anything before then ;) That said I am mostly interested in the 1940s-50s.

What was it that first prompted your interest in vintage culture?

I have been a fan of the typical 1950s silhouettes for pretty much as long as I can remember though they were not something I could picture myself wearing until around 6 years ago. I found myself in Japanese Lolita fashion for a very long time and gradually became accustomed to the idea of petticoats and frills. I found my tastes gravitating to a lot of the Lolita items that were particularly inspired by the 50s and 60s from brands like Metamorphose. I grew up listening to almost exclusively rockabilly music as a kid and my partner James was quite involved in the Brisbane scene when we met so it all just kind of fell into place!

 What is your favourite era, and do you 'live it' every day? In what ways?

I dont know that I really live a particular era anymore, my day to day style now sways much more towards Hime Gyaru (Princess Gal Fashion from Japan) which is a mixture of Rococo stylings and modern influence but even then I dont consider myself exclusively that style. These days I limit myself less in my choices and just go with the flow of how I feel that day.

 Tell us about your favourite item of vintage clothing, kitchenalia, music, furniture or whatever !

Definitely my string of pearls. I dont have many heirlooms but I have a strand of beautiful pearls which have been passed down by my mother and possibly back through the generations as well. I always feel extra pretty when I wear them!


Can you share with us why vintage culture continues to hold such appeal for you?

I think because it has been such a large part of my life so far it would just seem unnatural to not have it all of a sudden!



Do you have any tips for anyone starting out in the vintage scene?

Research, research and when you think you know a decent amount go back and research some more. There is so much to learn and know about vintage culture and fashion that you could spend several lifetimes learning it all. It can seem overwhelming but start off small and pick something in particular you love and find out everything you can about it. The more you know and try out the better you can put everything together.


Now is your chance to provide us with an overview of who you are and what you do.

I write a craft and beauty blog over at www.violetlebeaux.com so please feel free to come and say hi!


Finally, what or who inspires you and why?

I find my friends give me the most inspiration, they are such an eclectic bunch spanning so many different generations, styles and subcultures that it would be hard not to find something inspiring no matter what mood youre in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails