Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Living Dolls - Miss March

I draw my inspiration for vintage living from many places, one of which is the fine group of women who live vintage every day (just like me!!). So, I have decided to honour their style and dedication by creating this section on my blog - Living Dolls. Living Dolls are mothers, nurses, models, photographers, graphic designers, grandmothers, students, teachers - infact you name it, they come from every walk of life but have this one thing in common - they love and live vintage ! Be inspired with me......

Meet the ever lovely Slinky Sparkles - our Miss March.......



What does 'vintage' mean to you?

To me vintage is finding the perfect necklace hidden under a pile of 80’s cast-offs at a Sunday morning vintage fair!

What was it that first prompted your interest in vintage culture?

The aesthetics really drew me in. I love the idea of wearing a beautiful 60 year old evening gown and bringing it back to life. Such glamorous dresses deserve to be worn and taken to fabulous parties!

What is your favourite era, and do you 'live it' every day? In what ways?

I love the 50’s and 60’s. I suit the cut of 50’s clothes for everyday but I have some amazing floaty 60’s evening gowns and teeny weenie go-go dresses with tassels and beads that I wear for burlesque shows! I can’t resist vintage accessories like scarves and gloves so I always throw those on even if I’m just going to the shops!

Tell us about your favourite item of vintage clothing, kitchenalia, music, furniture or whatever!

I used to have some amazing hot sticks from the 60’s. They were my aunts and made the perfect curls. I lost them when I moved to London and my hair has never been the same! I’ve not seen anything similar but if you owned some, you wouldn’t ever sell them so I don’t expect to see another set.



Can you share with us why vintage culture continues to hold such appeal for you?

The main appeal is the people! I’ve met so many friends on the vintage scene and I love how passionate and knowledgeable they are about the history. I’ve been to rock and roll clubs all over the world and there’ll always be a heated discussion in the bathrooms over where someone got their shoes or where the best record stalls are.

Do you have any tips for anyone starting out in the vintage scene?

Go along to swing nights, burlesque nights, vintage markets and weekenders. They’re really good places to get chatting with people and have fun. When buying clothes, arm yourself with your measurements and tape measure as the size on the label means nothing!

Now is your chance to provide us with an overview of who you are and what you do. Tell my readers as much or as little as you like!!!

A British burlesque bombshell, renowned for her Monroe-esque curves & coquettish, cheesecake charm. Slinky Sparkles is a glittering ecdysiast, first-class performance artiste & versatile pin-up model, transforming from demure English Rose to seductive Silver Screen Siren in the flash of a nylon'ed gam...

Slinky Sparkles is a versatile & elegant performance artiste. Appearing throughout the UK & international burlesque scene, Miss Sparkles regularly seduces audiences at events in London & beyond!



Finally, what or who inspires you and why?

I’m always envious of other people’s wardrobes and hair styling abilities! I’m inspired by friends, fans and glamorous people that I meet everyday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails